Monday, August 11, 2014

'Guardians of the Galaxy: Why I mostly love/kinda hate Marvel films

Guardians of the Galaxy
Marvel movies are starting to reach the same level of audience expectations of Pixar movies. They are almost always good if not downright terrific, and they keep performing at historic rates at the box office.

Yet I have very mixed feelings about the dominance of these superhero films. And I'm saying this as someone who really enjoys most of them.

Tonight I saw Marvel's latest adventure: Guardians of the Galaxy, and, naturally, it's another winner.

It's charming and funny, with just enough original ideas up its sleeve to seem relatively fresh.

It's still not my favorite popcorn movie of the summer season, that still remains Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, which is a far more sophisticated film. But that said, Guardians of the Galaxy is a visually inventive romp, which makes a legit movie star out of Parks and Recreation favorite Chris Pratt.

So why I am griping? Here's the thing -- Marvel movies always have one foot planted firmly in the world of comic book fanboys. I have read my share of comic books but I will never be as immersed as some are in the lore and history of the universe of heroes and villains which have populated the medium for decades. And my guess is a substantial portion of the viewing audiences for the films feels the same way.

And yet, every Marvel movie insists on blatantly laying the groundwork for -- the next Marvel movie. I never forget I am watching the makings of a franchise, not a truly artistic cinematic endeavor.

When I think of the Marvel films that I enjoy I always think: I loved the characters, but I hated the plot. Or in some cases, what plot? Or worse I can't even remember what all those battles were about in the first place.

Chris Pratt in Guardians of the Galaxy

Now say what you will about DC Comics' movies, but I have never seen a Batman or Superman film I couldn't follow or that lost me in the minutiae of its screenplay.

Not unlike The Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy spends an inordinate amount of its already somewhat overlong screen time fussing over its "MacGuffin" -- a very powerful orb, coveted by a humorless villain (at least The Avengers had the slimy but lovable Loki), which generates the now prototypical CGI light show we've come to expect from every third act of a Marvel superhero movie.

Sometimes I feel like these movies are so preoccupied with stuffing their margins with comic book "stuff" that their strong point -- the human/character element -- inevitably takes a back seat to the massive action set pieces. I had the same problem with the slightly overrated Captain America sequel, which jettisoned its most interesting ideas in the last lap for a whole lot of punching.

Call me a grumpy old man -- but I miss movies with real people in relatively realistic situations. I fear that the Marvel movies, as they continue to rake in the cash and attract A-list talent (they can even get an Oscar winner like Benicio Del Toro to appear in a fairly thankless walk-on role), will slowly replace coherent narratives with real things at stake.

Don't get me wrong -- I love a fun throwaway movie with a light touch. But I never once felt moved or scared while watching Guardians of the Galaxy. I laughed, I was entertained -- but it didn't make me think, about anything.

Then again, it's summer season. And maybe it's asking too much to be mentally stimulated by a Marvel film. I did enjoy Guardians of the Galaxy for what it was. The use of 70s pop hits as a running motif was delightful, as was the constant injection of humor and cynicism into the proceedings. I had a blast watching the movie and would gladly see this team's next adventure.

But I just hope they'll be more earthbound options to choose from as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment