Friday, June 6, 2014

'Ghostbusters II' at 25: 10 reasons why it's a great film

The original Ghostbusters is one of my favorite films of all time, but it's unjustly maligned 1989 sequel has always held a special place in my heart.

Let me explain...

I was only 2 years old when the first film came out so I was too young to see it in theaters. I, of course, later discovered the movie on home video and television but I first really fell in love with the Ghosbusters while watching the animated series The Real Ghostbusters, which I assume for rights purposes, had a blonde Egon and a Peter Venkman with a pompadour.

By the time the sequel rolled around it had seemed like an eternity since the first film and my excitement for a new Ghostbusters adventure was off the charts. I was only 7 and didn't have a critical eye, I just loved those guys and earnestly wanted to be one.

At Disney World a caricature artist asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up and I enthusiastically said a Ghostbuster, assuming it would be a plausible profession, if not then, someday. I remember my Dad cutting an item out of the newspaper (remember those?) about the sequel filming in New York City with a set photo of Bill Murray and the rest, and I pinned it on my wall. So in June of 1989 -- which was one of the best summer movie seasons ever (Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Do the Right Thing and Batman would come within weeks of each other) -- I was on the edge of my seat.

Seeing Ghostbusters II in theaters is one of the first truly vivid movie-going experiences I ever had. I remember my little sister was freaked out by it (and so was I in a few parts) and I also remember loving the hell out of it. Now, 25 years later, I still love it. It is isn't as fresh or classic as the original but as far as comedy sequels go it's still one of the best.

Today it's usually labeled a disappointment if not an all-out failure by fans. I find this curious since for years there has been exhausting chatter about a third Ghostbusters film, considering the fact that so many people dog the second one. You can put me firmly in the 'I hope that Ghostbusters III never gets made' camp, but not because part II was bad. I just think there's no point to making another one other than to make money. And without the involvement of Bill Murray (who has repeatedly passed on the project) and Harold Ramis (who died earlier this year) it will not even be a faithful addition to the series.

I will disregard any new Ghostbusters film the way I refuse to acknowledge any John McClane film after Die Hard with a Vengeance. But I digress. Ghostbusters II is a lot of fun, and yes, while it definitely pales in comparison to the original it has so much going for it. Here are ten examples:

Comedy gold
1) Bill Murray photographing Vigo: I would argue that this moment is just as funny as any moment in the first film. Venkman starts photographing the villain (who is currently encased within a particularly terrifying portrait) and he starts doing it in the style of a flamboyant fashion photographer. In the end of this shtick, in a very affected voice he says "I've had better, but not many." This scene has always had me in stitches.

2) Janosz: Some people may think of Peter MacNichol as the guy from Ally McBeal, while others may remember his dramatic performance opposite Meryl Streep in Sophie's Choice, but he will always be Janosz (pronounced yah-noh-shh) to me. He is sort of filling the role Rick Moranis did in the 1984 but he's even more delightfully weird and over-the-top. The exaggerated accent, the fecklessness, some people may have found it annoying, I think it's hilarious.

3) It's scarier: No one is going to a Ghostbusters movie expected a lot of actual big scares, but I would argue that Ghostbusters II has far creepier sequences than the original. This may be my childhood memories informing my present state-of-mind, but Vigo was a horrifying villain and the constant threats to Dana (Sigourney Weaver)'s infant son are truly terrifying if you think about them long enough.

4) The Venkman-Dana relationship: One of the great pleasures of the Ghostbusters movies (for me, at least) has been the underrated romantic chemistry between Bill Murray and Sigourney Weaver. He's had sparks with other actresses (Andie MacDowell in Groundhog Day comes to mind) but I don't think he ever had a more perfect match than Weaver. Her character always calls him out on his sardonic asides and forces him to grow up without being a wet blanket. You don't appreciate these things as much when you're a kid. But I think their romance makes these movies work and it only deepens in the sequel.

Bustin' makes him feel good
5) "On Our Own": This is minor thing but I would argue that Bobby Brown's theme "On Our Own" is just as good as Ray Parker Jr.'s iconic Ghostbusters song. It's one of the greatest New Jack Swing songs of all time and represents Brown at his pre-multiple meltdowns best. Also, kudos to the cameo. Remember when they used to be short and sweet?

6) Louis Tully gets to play hero: Poor Rick Moranis, always playing second fiddle to the cooler lead comedian (whether it be Steve Martin or Bill Murray). Although I prefer frosty Janine from the first film to the slightly slutty Janine of the second, I like that in this film he gets to save the day (sort of) and get the girl. Not bad for a guy who was turned into a monstrous dog in the 1984 original.

7) It's kind of realistic: I don't mean the whole absurd slime-drenched plotline where good vibes save New York City, I am talking about the opening of the film where the Ghostbusters have been deemed lame. I love this twist -- because it is so true to life and how New Yorkers would really have reacted. The amount of property damage and overexposure the Ghostbusters were responsible for following their first adventure would make them minor celebrities at best and pariahs at worst. Love that they're subjected to performing at birthday parties.

8) Bureaucrats are still the bad guys: Even though the third act pretty much repeats everything from the first film, I appreciated the fact that we get essentially a new (albeit not quite as good) version of Walter Peck, in mayor's aide Jack Hardemeyer (played by Kurt Fuller). These guys are always the perfect, straight-laced foils for the Ghostbusters.

9) Bill Murray in general: He deserves acknowledgement on his own. The other guys are lovable nerds --Dan Aykroyd, Ramis and Ernie Hudson are like big kids -- but Murray's Venkman is still the coolest guy on the planet. Whether hosting a bizarre talk show about the supernatural or being confronted by a dancing toaster, he is always one step, or at least one quip, ahead of everyone.

10) The painting finale: I always loved this image (pictured above) which ends the film. It's silly, goofy and kind of doesn't make any sense -- which is why it's the ideal fit for a Ghostbusters film. Even though Murray didn't want to make it and has since distanced himself from the project -- you can sense the genuine affection he feels for his fellow actors (particularly Ramis and Aykroyd, who he went way back with) in the movie's closing moments.

So I rest my case. Ghostbusters II can't hold a candle to the first movie but it's great fun. Comedy sequels are almost impossible to get right. National Lampoon's Vacation managed two solid spin-offs and I think there are a lot of great jokes in Wayne's World 2. And while Anchorman 2 has its detractors, I'm convinced that it will grow in esteem with time and distance. But generally they fall flat because humor is tricky that way and you can't catch comedic lightening in a bottle twice.

No comments:

Post a Comment