Sunday, May 3, 2015

'Avengers: Age of Ultron' is a lot of fun, but also overwhelming

More superheroes, more explosions, more CGI -- everything in Avengers: Age of Ultron is bigger and more elaborate than probably every comic book movie that's proceeded it.

While that's not always a good thing -- I was still impressed with this surefire blockbuster.

I think I am getting a little too old for these types of movies, the audience I saw it with was largely peppered with children so young that their chatter during the movie was more adorable than annoying. But there were some literate lines of dialogue that made me laugh out loud and the actors' commitment to playing real characters instead of cartoons works wonders.

The reason this film is a step above Guardians of the Galaxy for me is that the villain of the piece is just as strong as it's larger-than-life heroes. The first film had Loki, played with cocksure wit by Tom Hiddleston, and the sequel has an ace up its sleeve -- the performance of James Spader as Ultron.

He brings his delightfully devious voice to this legitimately scary bad guy and his physical performance was digitally mapped to imbue his computer-generated character with life-like qualities.

Although the plot is overstuffed and overly complicated, Ultron manages to cut through with genuine menace and swagger. He's aided by the film's considerable sense of humor, employed to great effect by Joss Whedon's screenplay. I am no Whedon expert. I've never seen Buffy or Firefly. But I can see that he is great at making monolithic mainstream entertainment accessible and endearing.

James Spader as Ultron
This is a film about people -- the people just happen to be exceptional. I like that the film goes through great pains to further develop the Hulk character and Black Widow; Ruffalo and Johansson get to do some real nice work together.

And Jeremy Renner gets several moments to shine as the previously most under-valued Avenger, Hawkeye. I also like that the film seems aware that it's patently absurd which is a welcome thing for the adults trying to make heads or tails of its story.

It didn't feel like quite as fun a ride as the first Avengers movie, which provided the pleasure of watching this odd batch of heroes clash at first and then become friends. This film lacks the same element of surprise than the 2012 original did. We've been so inundated with these kinds of movies they occasionally become numbing.

Don't get me wrong -- this is great summer entertainment, and there are few things at the movies more pleasurable these days than Robert Downey, Jr. making quips as Tony Stark. But I do find myself wondering when this Marvel madness is ever going to stop.

Three of the trailers that proceeded Avengers: Age of Ultron were for superhero films. Some looked better than others, but they ultimately all feel the same. in the meantime, I can't deny that this film is a little overwhelming.

No comments:

Post a Comment