Thursday, April 3, 2014

'The Red Shoes' holds up as a compelling piece of cinema

The Red Shoes
Director Martin Scorsese is always name dropping films a mile-a-minute, but there's no film he name-checks (in my estimation) more than Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger's 1948 ballet drama The Red Shoes.

After finally getting around to seeing this beautifully shot film I can totally understand why.

On the surface level the film is a virtuoso visual delight -- the color, choreography and beauty of the images burst off the screen. It's easy to see why it inspired stylists like Scorsese and Brian De Palma.

The plot is also fascinating. The film deals with the struggle between an individual's art/craft and their personal life. This conflict frustrates the film's characters and ultimately leads to tragedy.

At first it took me a little while to settle into this 1948 film's charms. It's stately British tone and pacing, along with it's, at least on the surface, cliched backstage drama didn't initially enthrall me. But I found myself drawn in, especially by the nominal villain of the piece -- the ballet director played by the excellent Anton Walbrook. His presence, his line readings, even the way he is shot is striking.

And then, right in the middle of the film, comes an extraordinary wordless dance sequence that turns surreal. The second half then takes on a much darker tone and it becomes a story about the obsession of creative drive.

Anton Walbrook and Moira Shearer in The Red Shoes
This may not interest or appeal to everyone -- but it did to me. I myself have grappled with juggling practical vs. emotional passions and needs. I've often  had a hard time reconciling my true interests with what I supposedly "need" to be interested in.

In a way this very blog is an attempt on my part to thread the needle -- I want more than anything to write exclusively about film -- and yet it's not something I can afford to do or have an opportunity to do. So when I can steal a moment for myself I indulge my true passions here.

This film struck a special chord for me. It sort of has a little of everything I love. And yes, that includes beautiful women and the color red (my personal favorite). It is an uncompromising vision which remarkably doesn't adhere to the conventions of its extremely censored age.

I've always appreciated ballet -- although I'm far from an expert on it. But even if you're not interested in dance don't let that deter you from seeing this magical film (and see it on bluray if you can) because the dance could just as easily be replaced with sports or writing or filmmaking or anything that requires skill and determination.

If you are a sucker for old movies that have a lot going on under the surface this is great one to check out. When it ended I found myself in awe. And I couldn't wait to watch again -- this time with the commentary.

No comments:

Post a Comment