Wednesday, November 5, 2014

First time viewing: 'The Goonies' are still good enough

Chunk in The Goonies
I feel like everybody has some movie they were supposed to see when they were a kid that they just missed. Not because they didn't want to see it, or because they were afraid to -- but just because it wasn't a staple in their household.

The Goonies has always been that movie for me.

As a child of the '80s (and let's face it, early '90s), I am supposed to worship this movie. I've seen brief moments from it, am vaguely familiar with its characters and theme song -- but I've never sat down and watched it from beginning to end.

I finally watched it tonight. And boy, did I have a lot of fun with this movie. It's overlong and abrasively loud at times -- but it's got such a buoyant, playful spirit that it's pretty irresistible, and "Chunk" has got to be one of the most endearing comic characters I've ever encountered.

They never make these kinds of kids-on-an-adventure movies anymore, Whereas our generation has Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, Gremlins or even better, E.T. I guess part of what made Super 8 so refreshing was it starred real kids who act like kids.

The cast features future stars like Josh Brolin and Sean Astin, and some other standout child performers who bring a unique energy and charm to the proceeding. Even Corey Feldman manages not to be too grating. It's story is needlessly elaborate -- it's essentially one big treasure hunt, but director Richard Donner, the underrated director of Lethal Weapon and the original Christopher Reeve Superman, knows how to keep the action moving so there's never something that isn't entertaining on screen.

I miss how in '80s movies adults were usually buffoons or foils for kids. Even if that was nothing like the real world, as a kid I liked the idea of reveling in that fantasy. I also had a blast with the ensemble nature of the film. Today's kids movies try too hard to be star vehicles for somber pretty boys/girls. The Goonies, as they call themselves, are goofy, quirky but also clever and neurotic.

Chunk was easily my favorite character. I don't know if it was the performer or the writing but every time he showed up on screen he had me hysterically laughing. I especially loved the scene where he's being held captive by bad guys and is implored to tell them "everything" so he confesses to every bad thing he's ever done in his life, including pretending to vomit on people in a movie theater.

And how badass is it that among the gang is a gadget guy? Data's entrance in the movie, set to the James Bond theme, is a blast. Oh, and Sloth -- how can you not love Sloth?

This must have been a real challenge to shoot for everyone involved. The cast has to spend almost the entire movie in a panic and soaking wet, but like so many Spielberg-produced films of that era, it's mass entertainment at it's best. Spielberg movies (even the ones he didn't direct himself) have always been best at creating a sense of wonder, as well as excitement.

I think what has made The Goonies endure after all these years, besides pure '80s nostalgia, is that it has a truly sweet sincerity and a total uncynical sense of adventure. It's not corny, but it's not afraid to be -- and I wish more films these days had that spirit.

Goonies never say die!

No comments:

Post a Comment