Friday, February 20, 2015

Final Oscar predictions 2015: Best director and best picture

My annual Oscar predictions with my friend Brian Wezowicz from Too Fat 4 Skinny Jeans continues with our picks for the Academy Awards for Best Director  and Best Picture.

Brian: 4 for 4 so far!  Maybe we can disagree on these final two categories, where the outcome doesn't seem nearly as set in stone as the acting categories.

First up is Best Director.  It seems to be a two horse race between Richard Linklater for his time spanning opus, Boyhood, and Alejandro G. Inarritu for Birdman.  Both movies required a monumental directing effort, and I think the race could go either way.  I should also mention that I think we'll see a split between best picture and director this year.

Here are the nominees:

Alejandro G. Inarritu - Birdman
Richard Linklater - Boyhood
Bennett Miller - Foxcatcher
Wes Anderson - The Grand Budapest Hotel
Morten Tyldum - The Imitation Game

Will Win:  Richard Linklater

It's my favorite movie of the year, and Linklater gets the nod for his amazing ability to craft a story that took 12 years to film.  It's amazing that this movie even exists, let alone works so well.  He basically had to craft the story on the fly to account for the shifting tides of technology, politics, etc. over a twelve year span.  He gets the slight edge over Inarritu.

Should Win:  Linklater or Inarritu

I won't be upset if either director walks away with the statue.  Both did an amazing job.

Dark Horse:  Wes Anderson

While I wasn't a huge fan of Grand Budapest, is this the year that the Academy finally comes around to Wes Anderson?  If anyone could sneak in and upset the front runners, it's Anderson.  The movie made a ton of money and has already done well on the awards circuit.  My guess is that Anderson walks away with the script writing Oscar and gets left out of directing.

Who do you got?

Adam: I don't think it's quite as close as you do -- but more on that in a second. This was the most heartbreaking category to me because of the omission of Ava DuVernay. The Best Actor race is always hyper competitive, so while I still think Oyelowo deserved a spot more than Copper, it's not like the greatest snub of all time. But the diss of DuVernay might be.She could have made history as the first woman of color and just the fifth woman overall to be nominated for Best Director. Her achievement with Selma was astounding, and although it was nominated for Best Picture, it feels like an afterthought. The movie deserved better.

I also think Morten Tyldum unexceptional work on The Imitation Game is unworthy of a spot here. He did a solid, competent job, but I feel like this should be a category for auteurs. Hell, even if Clint Eastwood were here it would make more sense because he made a film that really reflected his vision. I think the other four are definitely worthy, great filmmakers. And although I would be surprised if he eeked out a win, I am personally thrilled to finally see Wes Anderson get recognized by the Academy. His slow but steady rise as a commercial force has been one of the most fascinating recent developments out of Hollywood. That said...

Will win: Richard Linklater

It would be a mistake to award Linklater just for his achievement of making a moving, coherent film over 12 years. He's not the first, or the last direct to try an experiment like this. It's simply the best film of the year, and impressive directorial vision that is epic in scope and feeling. He is picking up pretty much every precursor and his body of work makes him a shoo-in for the award.

Should win: Richard Linklater

For pretty much all the reasons stated above. He made a movie that was both uniquely personal and yet had universal appeal. It also just feels like the culmination of all this prior work. Directors sometimes don't win for their signature films, it would be a shame for that to happen here.

Dark Horse: Wes Anderson

The quirky filmmaker has a lot of devoted fans, and I count myself among them. I actually didn't think Grand Budapest was his strongest work, I liked it, but I think Moonrise Kingdom was superior for instance. But for whatever reason, this film was a real hit with audiences, and critics who usually are very polarized on Anderson. It's strong showing among the nominations suggests a lot of support for him and his film, so if there's going to be an upset, it could be here.\

Brian: Ah, yes.  I can't believe I forgot to mention the biggest Oscar snub.  DuVernay's omission from the directing category was the most glaring snub in this year's field.  Selma was a brilliantly directed film and the historical implications of her would be nomination make this snub hurt the most.  I agree that it deserved better.  I haven't seen The Imitation Game, but from all accounts it seems like a quality, but by the numbers, biopic.  I'll have to wait and see to pass final judgment.

 It's time for the big award: Best Picture. We have a crowded field, but to me, it feels like it could go one of two ways. Birdman or Boyhood. I feel like Boyhood is the premier film this year for all of the reasons you mentioned.

I should also mention that I am not a fan of the "up to 10 movies for Best Picture" rule anymore.  I liked it when it was first implemented because it allowed films that might not have gotten into the category in years prior a chance to shine.  However, the more I look at it, it feels almost forced.  Is a movie like American Sniper (and it's 74% Rotten Tomatoes score) really a best picture nominee?  Or was it thrown in because Clint Eastwood make it and he automatically gets in.  These past few years, it's felt like there have been movies that have squeezed their way in almost as a token nomination.  What do you think... should we go back to the 5 movie rule, or do you like expanding the category to 10?

The nominees for Best Picture are:
Boyhood

American Sniper
Birdman
Boyhood
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Imitation Game
Selma
The Theory Of Everything
Whiplash

Will Win: Boyhood

This is my personal favorite film of the year.  I connected to this movie more than any movie I've seen in the past few years.  It's a monumental achievement in directing, acting, script writing, editing, etc.  It gets the nod this year.

Should Win: Boyhood

For all the reasons I mentioned above, this is the one that should walk away with the big prize.  Although I could make a case for Birdman as well.

Dark Horse: Selma

Does the perceived "snubbed" movie get the victory (like Argo two years ago)?  I could see this happening, but my guess is that it doesn't come anywhere close to knocking Boyhood off the pedestal.

That's it for me. Who wins your Best Picture Oscar?

I'd also like to thank you for participating again this year.  I really enjoy these back and forth exchanges. I'd also like to mention that I love reading your blog.  I don't get to go to the movies as much as I like these days and I live vicariously through your reviews.  You are really gifted with your commentary on all things Hollywood.  Keep up the good work.  Let's keep these exchanges going in the future.

Adam: Thank you! I too liked the expansion idea at first -- particularly after The Dark Knight was inexplicably snubbed in 2008 -- but it clearly deserved a spot in the final five, instead of the dreary The Reader. I think you're right, this experiment hasn't worked. Sure some quirkier gems have gotten best picture nominations but even year since 2009 there have been five clear favorites and a bunch of also-rans. Like I am still shaking my head over The Blind Side getting a best picture nomination.

I didn't like American Sniper for a host of reasons, it was entertainment and interesting in its ineptitude, but I don't think it belongs here. I feel the same way about The Imitation Game, I haven't seen The Theory of Everything but I've heard -- frequently -- that movie is just ok, not great. Of this group I would narrow it down to: Selma, Birdman, Boyhood, Whiplash and The Grand Budapest Hotel.

And I think Foxcatcher should have made the cut instead of Whiplash. Whiplash is a terrific little movie, but I just thought Foxcatcher has more to often in terms of an all-encompassing filmgoing experience.

That said, the nominees are what they are...

Will Win: Boyhood

This race is actually incredibly close for me, and I've been thinking more and more that Birdman might triumph, it's still buzzy and still in theaters, whereas Boyhood had its biggest impact last summer. I've also increasingly heard quibbles about the film from some people. That said, it was the most acclaimed American film of last year and it has enough momentum left to eek out a victory.

Should Win: Boyhood

It's tough, my heart is with Selma but my head is with Boyhood. If Birdman won I wouldn't be appalled but those two were the films that really stayed with me emotionally long after I saw them. I think Boyhood is a stunning achievement and just a profoundly smart take on a whole generation. Selma is more modest in scope, but no less compelling.

Dark Horse: Birdman

It has a slew of precursors and nominations, it clearly resonates with the Hollywood community and it's innovative to boot. I am becoming more and more convinced that it could be a great night for this magic realism mishmash of a movie and maybe only because Boyhood peaked too soon.

I think the Academy thinks it did its job for racial harmony last year by begrudgingly picking the phenomenal 12 Years a Slave to win best picture, I think American Sniper is too polarizing, The Theory of Everything and The Imitation Game are too slight and Whiplash is too small. Grand Budapest Hotel is kind of hanging around and could be a spoiler but I feel like its too whimsical a movie to be a best picture winner.

Needless to say, this is going to be a potentially surprising finale.

No comments:

Post a Comment