Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Why I am worried about the future of James Bond

For the first time in a long time I'm worried about the fate of what might just be my favorite film franchise of all time -- James Bond. Sure. he's been around for over 50 years now, so clearly he has a lot of staying power, but current production woes have me thinking the series may be in real trouble for the first time in decades.

The Daniel Craig era has been largely defined by the good taste and efficiency of the Broccoli family. With the one exception of the unpopular decision to try to weave the prior three films into the plot of Spectre, the last four films have been wildly popular critically and commercially (even Quantum of Solace holds up better than you'd think).

Spectre was only a disappointment relative to its classic predecessor, Skyfall, but it was a perfectly solid, entertaining entry and a huge hit.

In fact my only major quibble with the Craig years have been the lengthy gaps between the films. We are now three years out from Spectre and Bond25 which was supposed to come out next year, now appears to be in real peril.

Director Danny Boyle, who was hired to direct his own script, has quit, citing differences with Daniel Craig (rumor has it the 007 star wanted to kill off the character in the finale). And now the new Bond film might not arrive until 2020. Craig, who's my favorite Bond, but who has also long claimed to be tired of the role, will be 52 by the time the movie theoretically comes out.

Meanwhile, media speculation about who should and will eventually replace him has reached a fever pitch. I've never loved that speculation game. Craig has owned this role for 12 years and he's so undeniably great in it I'm not sure what the obsession is with tapping his replacement, especially if a film starring a new Bond (providing Craig doesn't drop out) won't arrive until 2022 or later.

I don't like the narrative that Craig is holding the series hostage -- but the fact is that no Bond has had a totally smooth exit from the role. Connery quit and came back twice, and his later outings were never as strong as his early ones. The late Roger Moore was lovable as ever in A View to a Kill but at 57, even he knew he was too old to be 007. Die Another Day, while a huge hit, is now remembered as one of the silliest Bond films ever. I could go on and on.

Spectre didn't feel like the perfect Daniel Craig send-off, but it could have been, especially since it showed 007 choosing romance over the spy game in the end. I really wanted one more go-round with him but I worry the pressure to get this last one right, mixed with the media's obsession over who's next had possibly doomed this project.

I've long since felt that no matter what the series may be in need for some re-tooling. A new Bond might have an automatic effect, and God knows the Idris Elba waiting game has gone on forever. He too isn't getting any younger, and while the concept of a black Bond will be inevitably controversial, I kind of don't care anymore -- I just want more Bond! And I want it sooner rather than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment