Friday, March 13, 2020

Will we ever go to the movies again?

It's a melodramatic question, I know. Clearly, one day, with no help from the current occupant of the White House, we are going to whip the coronavirus, but in the short term (and maybe even the long term) it's going to upend most of our lives.

Besides keeping millions of people home from work, and potentially thousands will lose their jobs. Nearly every professional sport -- the bedrock of American entertainment and culture -- has been sidelined and this year at the movies will never be the same.

The first pillar to fall was the highly anticipated new James Bond film -- No Time to Die -- was pushed from April to November. Then the latest Fast & Furious movie -- F9 -- pulled up stakes and moved to 2021! The latest shocker is that A Quiet Place part II, which was due out later this month, is being shelved indefinitely.

That film, which was a surefire blockbuster and essential to be seen on a big screen with an audience, will surely see the light of day at some point, but since its studio reportedly already blew much of its advertising budget, the movie will have to really over-perform to make up for the costs of this delay.

All of this makes sense -- if the movie Outbreak taught us anything, it's that movie theaters can be a hotbed for spreading germs. But I love going to the theater so this disruption has impacted me more than others -- I know, boo hoo -- and so this really has brought this crisis home for me.

It's been almost ten years since the tragedy in Aurora made us all painfully aware that we are all sitting ducks for potential mass shooters whenever we chose to see a movies in a theater. I now always check my exits and strategize how I would shield my wife from gunfire whenever I go t a crowded theater. This may be melodramatic, but these are the times we're living in.

It's hard to tell yet how all these tentpole movie delays are going to effect the industry. I am sure the makers of Bad Boys for Life (the unexpected biggest blockbuster of the year to date) are thrilled that their run at the box office took place before this crisis hit. This is also clearly going to be a boon to streaming services, which have already proven to be the biggest threat to the traditional industry since the advent of VHS and television before that.

Last year, Netflix demonstrated that it will continue to be a major player in the awards season for the foreseeable future with critically acclaimed films like The Irishman, Marriage Story and Dolemite Is My Name. Now, they will have, for the lack of a better phrase, a captive audience as millions of people work from home and self quarantine.

I for one plan to dip into my own movie collection and enjoy some titles that I've meaning to revisit for a long time.

And the movies should eventually be fine. Not unlike sports, they are the most resilient form of entertainment we have. And as popular as streaming may be, nothing beats a zeitgeist-y blockbuster that is packing theaters. I just hope we can do that again -- safely -- soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment