Friday, June 26, 2020

'Eurovision' is cute but not the Will Ferrell comeback I want

I used to eagerly anticipate Will Ferrell movies. He'd become, in the 2000s (following his great run on Saturday Night Live), the best and most reliable comic actor in the movies. He had a wild, improvisational, unpredictable energy that made his mainstream comedies that much more quotable, subversive and worth periodically revisiting.

And then something strange happened. He didn't stop being funny but the movies did. Other than his underrated Anchorman sequel in 2013, he's had disappointment after disappointment. Plenty of his films have made money -- the Daddy's Home franchise for instance -- but Ferrell movies stopped feeling live must see events for me.

When I saw the trailer for his new film alongside Rachel McAdams -- Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga (yeah, its a mouthful) I was at least a little optimistic. I must admit I know nothing about Eurovision. I've heard the word but know nothing else about the event, so I probably could never have appreciated the film much. But I wasn't an expert in male figure skating either, and Blades of Glory was still a hoot.

Sadly, Eurovision is just ok. It's got some nice laughs here and there, and a very cute streak -- but it's far too long and far too simplistic to be anything special. Ferrell and McAdams play an earnest Icelandic duo (there's an unfunny running gag about them not knowing for sure if they're related) who are clearly talented but whose ambitious performances always turn into a disaster.

Because of an absurd twist of fate -- I won't spoil one of the better gags in the movie -- they gain entry into the highly competitive Eurovision contest, and well, you can easily predict the rest.

Ferrell and McAdams have good chemistry together -- although they don't feel entirely plausible as a romantic couple. Ferrell impressively does his own singing, whereas McAdams largely lip syncs her part. Their songs are quite good but the effect of quite so many bombastic pop tunes and performances is numbing.

Most disappointing though is Ferrell is playing yet another one of his stock man-children. He's in his 50s now -- he looks good, hasn't lost a step -- but he also hasn't seemed to find another gear in the way that say Steve Martin or Bill Murray did. I don't think he needs to take on more dramatic roles necessarily -- the more emotional scenes in Eurovision feel awkward -- but I do wish he'd make more sophisticated comedies.

So far, only director Adam McKay has been able to push him in stranger more interesting territory -- their collaborations are all Ferrell's best. They are looser, crazier affairs that aren't as generically plotted as this is.

Eurovision could have easily been turned into a drama or starred any number of actors,  although I'm told Ferrell's wife is Swedish, so perhaps that explains his connection to this watchable but ultimately forgettable flick.

I'm still holding my breath for another unforgettable one.

No comments:

Post a Comment