Friday, August 21, 2020

'Mulan' moving to streaming is another sign filmgoing is far away

The other day I learned that the big-budget live action version of Mulan has been turned into a streaming release -- at least in part -- this coming month. It makes sense on some level. The film was meant to come out in theaters in March and with no end in sight to theater closings thanks to covd-19, Disney probably figured that couldn't let it get lost in the shuffle.

Still, if there was ever a movie that seemed like it'd be best experienced on a big screen it was this one. I must admit, I never saw the animated original, although I know its widely beloved (except of course, by Mike Pence). 

I was excited for this version -- which at least appeared to be a new take rather than a shot for shot remake. And, it seemed like a unique opportunity to see an Asian cast in a big glamorous epic. Given its pedigree, it was almost sure to have been a hit. And now, as a primarily streaming project, it feels like a downgrade.

Meanwhile, Christopher Nolan's Tenet, which is getting glimpsed for the first time by critics after getting release overseas, seems to be moving full stream ahead.

I've wanted to see that movie on the big screen even more. But I still have no idea how and when going to the movies is going to work again. There doesn't seem to be much guidance, although I know some theaters near me are starting to baby step their way back into functionality.

But -- and it sucks to admit this -- but theaters are just germ central, they are. It's part of why that scene in Outbreak, where a virus is shown spreading from filmgoer to filmgoer is so effective. You're in an enclosed, crowded space, audibly reacting and munching and touching your seat. My skin crawls just thinking about it.

And yet, going to see movies in theaters was a huge part of my pre-covd life, I was going weekly before our whole lives came grinding to a halt.

Not unlike professional sports, it's almost as if the studios are in denial. I'm getting invites about screenings of the new Bill & Ted sequel and I'm mystified as to how that is supposed to work. I am still holding out hope that'll get to see the new Bond film -- No Time to Die -- in theaters. But who knows?

Some very big productions are almost inevitably going to lose a lot of money and without anything resembling  a consistent and safe nationwide plan for movie theaters, I don't understand how the movie industry is ever going to get back on track.

A Quiet Place II is still sitting out there. And Candyman. And Antebellum. And the reboot of Ghostbusters.

I get it, Hollywood is not a top priority right now. I just wish there was something resembling a plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment