Monday, February 10, 2014

Can a good movie be made about 'The Room'?

The Room is my favorite bad movie of all time. Showgirls is a close second but nothing really compares to Tommy Wiseau's masterpiece for sheer film-making ineptitude.

I have been to multiple midnight screenings and can probably reenact every line and scene.

I'm undeniably obsessed with The Room.

So when one of the film's stars, Greg Sestero ("Oh, hi Mark"), released a memoir about the making of the film and his relationship with its creator early last year I was thrilled and not the least bit disappointed in the results.

Sestero's book The Disaster Artist was wildly entertaining and answered so many questions I'd always had about how and why this cinematic debacle came to be.

The book also sheds a lot of light on Wiseau's bizarre personality which at times can be incredibly obnoxious but also strangely endearing. It probably can't be appreciated if you haven't seen the movie, but if you have and are like me fascinated by it, The Disaster Artist is a must read.

James Franco
Then this weekend I heard the news that James Franco plans to adapt Sestero's book into a feature film.

My initial reaction was overjoyed. Anything to further The Room legend intrigues me and Franco seems to have the right kind of offbeat sense of humor that a project like this would require. Rumor has it that he may also want to direct himself and his brother Dave in the film. I could see that.

But then after I slept on the idea I became more uneasy. Details are sparse but it's unclear if Franco is going to literally make a film version of Sestero's book or do a movie based on the concept (friend helps eccentric friend make a terrible movie).

Would Franco actually play Tommy Wiseau? And can anyone?

Wiseau is incredibly distinct looking and sounding, and even if Franco can do a terrific impression of him, I worry that it'll play as just that a very good impression. The Room's moments of stupefying awfulness are already perfection and I'm not sure I need to see someone just recreate them, even if they're as talented as Franco is.

I cherish a great bad movie as much as a legit good one. Part of what makes a bad movie great is that it's not trying to be bad. Snakes on a Plane proved that you can't be intentionally camp. You have to fail while earnestly trying to succeed.

Tommy Wiseau wanted The Room to go down as the greatest film ever made and there's something so touching about that. For Franco's project to succeed it can't be some inside Hollywood joke. It has to capture the same kind of spirit that Tim Burton's underrated Ed Wood did twenty years ago.

That movie to some extent helped redeem Wood's reputation. No one considers him a great filmmaker and they shouldn't, but his enthusiasm for the medium made him someone we could root for.

I'll likely be first in line probably no matter what to see what Franco comes up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment