Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Kevin Spacey has his mojo back on 'House of Cards'

Robin Wright and Kevin Spacey
I've always thought the worst thing that ever happened to Kevin Spacey was his becoming a movie star.

Let me explain.

When he was "just" a character actor, he was sublime. I first noticed him, like most moviegoers, in The Usual Suspects (1995) -- where his sly and slithering performance as Verbal Kint stole the movie and won the Oscar.

It was the beginning of an impressive hot streak.

He was also unforgettable in that same year's Seven as the maniacal killer John Doe, who somehow wins in the end (spoiler alert) by taking a bullet in the head from our hero (played by Brad Pitt).

Spacey was also dynamite in 1997's LA Confidential (the movie that should have won best picture over the overblown Titanic) as attention-seeking Hollywood cop with just barely a shred of decently left.

And then a not-so-funny thing happened. Spacey starred in the blockbuster 1999 dramedy American Beauty, won his second Academy Award, and became convinced that he could be a leading man. His films became less interesting as did his performances. If you caught the image of Spacey running in The Negotiator it was plainly obvious that he was no Harrison Ford.

After a string of flops and disappointments like Superman Returns I feared that we would never see that vintage, fierce Spacey I love in the mid-to-late '90s.

Luckily, Netflix's House of Cards has come along, and while I've come late to the party, I am happy to say I've hopped on the bandwagon. The show is great but Spacey is even better. He no longer is trying to play likable heroes like did  in mediocre movies like K-Pax, he's doing what he does best -- being a shark.

This is the Spacey of Glengarry Glen Ross (1992) who rips into lines like "do not defy me" with such relish that you get the palpable sense that it feels good to be bad.

Sometimes I am disappointed when I see top-shelf movie actors relegated to the small screen. It makes me think Hollywood hasn't got a clue how to use them so this is the best they can get. Not in this case.

House of Cards, which is about to launch its second season, has rejuvenated Kevin Spcaey and fans of great acting should all be pleased with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment