Saturday, March 15, 2014

1994 Flashback: My top 10 from 20 years ago

Pulp Fiction
Let's all take a deep breath for a second and think about the fact that 1994 was twenty years ago -- that somehow seems and feels insane. At least to me.

I was much more cognizant of the quality of films by '94 although I wasn't a fully formed movie geek just yet. Still, even then I considered it a travesty that Forrest Gump (a cute but disposable movie) was awarded best picture over the clearly more substantive Pulp Fiction.

With the exception of that groundbreaking, highly influential film -- the year was more or less dominated by blockbusters.

This was the year Jim Carrey became a phenomenon. It was also the year Keanu Reeves became a legit leading man. And it was the year I kind of outgrew Disney movies -- I remember taking my little sister to see The Lion King and thinking "I'm too old for this shit."

Since my last throwback post (on my top 10 from 2004) was such a hit (or at least, by this blog's standards), I figured lighting might strike twice. So without further ado, my top 10 from 1994:

10) Red Rock West: I can already imagine you saying "Huh?" Yeah, this is one of those totally forgotten movies from Nicolas Cage's pre-superstardom (a.k.a. good) period. He plays a drifter unintentionally caught up in some dark dealings alongside a sexy Lara Flynn Boyle and a sinister Dennis Hopper. Lots of twists and intrigue packed into a tightly wound little film. Itching to be rediscovered.

9) Crooklyn: Spike Lee shows off his sensitive side in this touching tribute to his childhood in 1970s-era Brooklyn. The film centers around a stand-in for his little sister and the coming-of-age story has a stronger set of female characters than any previous (or post) Lee joint. The soundtrack is to die for and the cinematography is note perfect. I won't spoil the climax but I will say it gets me crying every time.

8) Speed: This movie was almost entirely premise drive -- and an absurd one at that -- but it somehow managed to be one of the most thrilling and enjoyable action movies of the decade. That's because, for once, Keanu Reeves seemed totally credible in a lead role. And he has genuine chemistry with Sandra Bullock, in her breakthrough role. Tying it all together was the dependable Dennis Hopper as a madman who's wired a bus to blow up.

7) Quiz Show: Robert Redford's classy period film has fantastic performances from Ralph Fiennes and John Turturro, an elegant script and a fascinating story (rigged game shows that took the nation by storm in the early stages of television). Despite being nominated for a slew of Oscars, this film just didn't connect at the box office. That's a real shame. It deserves to be rediscovered. It may be the golden boy's best directed film.

6) Ed Wood: Before Tim Burton and Johnny Depp's partnership got played out they did some highly original work together. This lovingly rendered biopic about the "worst director of all time" is a great tribute to old-fashioned movie makers and ill-advised dreamers everywhere. Depp says he based his performance on Ronald Reagan which is actually kind of brilliant.

5) Wolf: Director Mike Nichols and star Jack Nicholson attempted something totally surreal here and it worked. What if you made a totally realistic werewolf movie? Audiences were baffled when they came to see "crazy Jack" and instead saw a smart, sophisticated, even romantic thriller about a mild-mannered man who discovers his inner badass by becoming a monster. Bonus points to Michelle Pfeiffer for quite possibly being my biggest crush of the decade.

Michael Keaton in The Paper
4) The Paper: Perhaps another odd choice if you don't know about my abiding love for all things Michael Keaton and my career as a journalist. I've yet to see Rush, but for my money this is the best, most engaging Ron Howard film I've ever seen. This fast-paced, funny and moving dramedy about 24 hours in the life of a big city newspaper is a hoot, especially if you're a New Yorker. And how adorable is Marisa Tomei!?

3) Dumb and Dumber: Of all the Jim Carrey golden-era comedies this is the only one that really holds up for me (sorry Ace Ventura fans). This was back when the Farrelly brothers were on a delicious streak of deviously funny comedies that stretched the boundaries of good taste, but delivered the laughs. Carrey and Jeff Daniels are uproarious in this ode to mind boggling stupidity. I'm nervous about the sequel (why do we need it?) but this film is a blast.

2) The Shawshank Redemption: Before it became overplayed on TBS and TNT, this life affirming gem was just an underrated masterpiece. Morgan Freeman's sublime voice-over has become so iconic that it's almost become a parody over time. While some may find this prison break story corny but it works for me. They don't make movies like this anymore, sadly. Freeman should have beaten Hanks for best actor. There, I said it.

1) Pulp Fiction: I know this is sacrilege in some circles -- but I don't think this is Tarantino's best directed film. His work in Inglourious Basterds and Django Unchained is far more polished. Nevertheless, no one can deny the power that this masterpiece still has. The movies needed a jolt of electricity in 1994 and Tarantino's non-linear comic crime epic accomplished that. He reminded us that John Travolta and Bruce Willis could act, made Samuel L. Jackson a movie star and inspired a whole new generation of filmmakers to look to the past in order to make the movies of the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment