Sunday, March 9, 2014

'Glengarry Glen Ross' makes me miss Alec Baldwin the actor

Alec Baldwin
Alec Baldwin only has one scene in Glengarry Glen Ross and it only lasts a few minutes. Yet, in a movie stacked with fantastic big-name actors giving top-notch performances, he steals the show.

His "Always Be Closing" monologue has had a life of its own outside of the movie, which is now more than twenty years old.

Watching this movie I was reminded again of how much I love Baldwin as an actor, and how saddened I am that his off-screen persona has so dominated the conversation about him that it threatens to overshadow all the terrific work he's done.

This is as much his fault as anyone's. His frequent fisticuffs with the paparazzi, his poor decision to use a gay slur in a fit of rage and colorful clashes with co-stars have cemented his status as a Hollywood problem child.

But he is also a phenomenal actor -- both as a leading man (The Hunt for Red October) and as a character actor (The Departed). He stored up a lot of good will being the funniest part of 30 Rock for seven years but now he seems content to burn every bridge he walks across.

The foray into the talk show format didn't work out -- so be it. And yet, Baldwin feels compelled to pen a cover story about how he's withdrawing from public life in which he trashes the current personalities of MSNBC prime time -- and for what purpose?
Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glen Ross

Of course, there are plenty of actors whose work I admire even when their off-screen behavior makes me cringe. And since Baldwin is a white male, he will be afforded endless opportunities to resurrect and redeem his career.

I only wish he could and would learn to be more self-deprecating.

A little sense of humor about himself would go a long way. I am actually incredibly sympathetic when it comes to his position on these insipid celebrity photographers.

Yet when he explodes doesn't he know he is simply giving these vultures exactly what they want? And since he has become iconic for getting violent in the face of harassment he'll always be a target.

As a fan, I would just hate to see this unique, talented actor become known simply as a guy with serious anger management issues.

I want to see the glorious and intense guy from Malice, who was able to deliver a monologue in which he declares himself God with total conviction.

I have very little doubt that Baldwin is probably a jerk, but I also truly don't believe he is a homophobe. I also think he is incredibly talented and I don't want to see him pull a Shia LaBeouf.

Of course, I don't think he actually will. The whole New York magazine gambit was obviously a hoax -- I just wish it were a funnier one.

No comments:

Post a Comment