Sunday, March 27, 2016

Why I (probably) won't see 'Batman v. Superman' in theaters

Ben Affleck as Batman
My enduring affection and interest in the Batman is well-documented, and I adore Superman almost as much.

I do think there are interesting, new things that can be said and done with both characters, and yet I have long been skeptical that we need to see the two of them fighting each other for two hours.

Needless to say, my expectations weren't too high for the new film Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice, and now that the reviews are out, it appears that my worst fears were confirmed.

I have seen every Batman and Superman film to date, for better or worse, but my fatigue with the superhero genre in general and reticence to pay good money for a movie I know will be mediocre has made me question whether I'll ever see this one, even though its event status makes buying a ticket almost feel like a duty these days.

I think that is precisely what's problematic about the new film -- that it seems to serve no purpose other than to jumpstart yet another franchise, and while I understand that that's direction the industry appears to be going, the cynicism and calculated nature of these projects is becoming increasingly apparent and annoying.


It doesn't help that DC Comics has foolishly placed their faith in director Zack Snyder, a filmmaker who has shown some facility with big budget visuals but little else. I found 300 to be an overheated mess. I don't know anyone who liked Sucker Punch. I haven't heard many good things about Watchmen and while I thought Man of Steel has some moments of merit -- its efforts to turn the Caped Crusader into another brooding Dark Knight totally missed the charm and inherent humor of the character.

And yet, despite his very mixed track record, Snyder is not just helming this film but a standalone Wonder Woman movie and the next few installments of a series of Justice League films. Despite bad reviews and audience quibbles -- all of these films will likely be massive hits, because they all benefit from irresistible trailers and big budget hype machines, which make seeing the movies a rite of passage for anyone who wants to remain relevant in the pop culture conversation.

But as the films get increasingly forgettable and more fit for an assembly line rather than a cinema, fans of the characters may start to ask the question: What are we doing this for?

Superman and Batman are two of the most fascinating creations to come out of the world of comic books. And part of the reason they have both lasted thing long, and gone through so many iterations, is that they are so powerful and iconic that they can withstand a misstep or two.

But I fear that the path that Snyder and Co. are taking them now could be irrevocable. Especially when it comes to Superman. Batman fans can still cherish the very recent Christopher Nolan trilogy and the brilliant Tim Burton entries before that.

When it comes to Superman, Hollywood has not gotten him right since the days of Christopher Reeve. Even though special effects are leaps and bounds beyond what they were in his heyday, the more recent films have completely missed the magic and charm of his entries.

Reeve seemed to understand that Superman had a sense of humor, and he also appreciated the curiosity that Superman had about human nature, and his genuine love for humanity. Sure, it's sappy on a certain level. But his humbleness was endearing. Now, Superman seems smug and self consciously edgy. He glowers instead of glows.

All of this is reflective of the success of the Marvel films, which have also started to show their age as they aim for more pretentious significance. Their best entries have strong character development and stories, but they too have become more rote as they pay due diligence to both the comic book obsessed crowd and the studios which seek to make endless sequels.

Of course, my complaints mean nothing, and as long as there is money to be made there will be junk cluttering our theaters. I just hate to see Batman and Superman being mishandled. Instead, for now, I will sit back and enjoy this:

No comments:

Post a Comment