Monday, January 29, 2018

The 5th annual Oscar pick-a-palooza: Who's Best Supporting Actor?

Harrison Ford in Blade Runner 2049
Too Fat 4 Skinny Jeans movie blogger Brian Wezowicz and I will be weighing in with our hot takes on this year's major category nominations. Click here to read the first installment on Best Supporting Actress. And without further ado, here's our impressions of this year's male supporting line-up.

Brian: I completely hear you about Betty Gabriel [in Get Out] delivering a chilling and unforgettable performance that is worthy of some recognition.  Her "No, no, no, no, no..." scene will go down in the annals of cinema.  And it's a shame that Carrie Fisher's only Oscar recognition for playing Leia was in last year's "In Memoriam."

The next category is Supporting Actor.  Another strong category with one large elephant in the room not appearing.  Kevin Spacey, had he not been such a scumbag, would probably have been nominated here.  Instead, we have Christopher Plummer getting nominated for not being Kevin Spacey.  I know you said his performance was one of the saving graces of this film, but I can't help but think he's getting the nod as a thank you for saving the release date of All The Money In The World. Here are the nominees:

Supporting Actor:
Bob Odenkirk in The Post
Willem Dafoe, The Florida Project
Woody Harrelson, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Richard Jenkins, The Shape of Water
Christopher Plummer,  All the Money in the World
Sam Rockwell, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Will Win:  Sam Rockwell - He seems to be the odds on favorite this awards season.  He's finally getting recognition for the quality actor that he is, having put in years of strong to excellent work as a character actor.

Should Win:  Willem Dafoe - One of your top 10 movies of the year (I missed its theatrical run), you called Dafoe's performance the warmest of his career.  As someone who normally goes wayyyy over the top, it's nice to see him play a more down-to-earth character.

Snub/Surprise:  I've already mentioned that my surprise is Plummer, but I've got two people in mind for a snub here.  My first is Armie Hammer, who works wonders in Call Me By Your Name.  My second snub is Bob Odenkirk in The Post.  While Hanks and Streep got the meatiest roles, I really enjoyed Odenkirk's performance as the reporter who finds the Pentagon Papers.  He's been doing excellent TV work for years, and it would have been nice to see some recognition from The Academy.  You could also nominate a number of the fine supporting performances in Get Out (Bradley Whitford, LilRel Howery, or Stephen Root all had scene stealing roles).

Who takes your statue?

Adam: I think Christopher Plummer is genuinely great in All the Money in the World, I can't be sure how much his doing a solid for the movie was a factor. But that being said, I think there were better performances that could have made this cut. But more on that in a second. This is always the heaviest categories for me when it comes to the coulda/shoulda/woulda conversation. Someone worthy is always left out. No one who is here doesn't belong here. But some of my faves definitely missed the cut.

Will win: Sam Rockwell. He's terrific in Three Billboards, but I am not sure why he has become the consensus favorite all of a sudden. Perhaps it's just a realization that he's been wonderful and unsung for so long and people feel compelled to want to reward him for this. I actually think Woody Harrelson is just as good in the movie, but I suppose Rockwell's part is showier. Richard Jenkins is reliably great in The Shape of Water, I mean come to think of it, all these guys are really solid utility players. But Rockwell seems to have all the momentum now for a movie I really didn't think was all that special.

Should win: Willem Dafoe. I'm curious about your comment that he usually goes "over the top" -- I wouldn't say that about him at all. I think he definitely has been in some pretty out there movies (particularly his collaborations with Lars Von Trier) but I've always found him to be a very humane, grounded actor. Particularly in movies like Platoon, Mississippi Burning and The Last Temptation of Christ from earlier in this career. In this movie he is so great with the child actors and the other amateurs around him. Maybe he'll get recognized someday, but it feels like he is just one of those great character actors who will never get his due, unlike Rockwell.

Snub/Surprise: I knew he wouldn't get nominated because the movie has not been in the awards conversation (outside tech categories) at all -- but I would have loved to see Harrison Ford get some well deserved recognition for his fantastic supporting turn in Blade Runner 2049. He was the heart and soul of that movie, and I'm consistently bummed by how little credit he's been given for his late career comeback.

I love that you mentioned Lil' Rel Howery, when I saw Get Out I remembered thinking -- this guy should be nominated for an Oscar, but they won't do it because roles like this never get nominated, which is a shame.

And finally, the biggest bummer is the exclusion of Call Me By Your Name's Armie Hammer and Michael Stuhlbarg, who both give beautiful, moving performances that don't have the same gimmicks that the Three Billboards guys do.

No comments:

Post a Comment