Wednesday, June 5, 2019

1982 Oscars: Who should have won in the major categories

I'm writing this post around my birthday and my completely meaningless, self indulgent gift to myself is this blog kicking off a new series I want to do on Oscar ceremonies from random years in the relatively recent past.

I'll take a look at the major categories andI'll talk about who won and who I think should have won.

I'm starting with the year of my birth -- 1982 -- and I'm sticking to only the films and performances that were actually nominated. So while I believe Blade Runner, The Thing and Ricardo Montalban's performance in Wrath of Khan should all be in this mix, they weren't when the awards were handed out in '83 so they can't be now.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Winner
Louis Gossett Jr. – An Officer and a Gentleman as Gunnery Sergeant Emil Foley

Other nominees...
Charles Durning – The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas as The Governor
John Lithgow – The World According to Garp as Roberta Muldoon
James Mason – The Verdict as Ed Concannon
Robert Preston – Victor/Victoria as Carol "Toddy" Todd

This is a tough one. I've seen all of these and they're pretty much all worthy, although I am a little puzzled by Durning's nod here. He's wonderful and fun in the movie, but the performance essentially consists of one spirited little number. This is a little like Queen Latifah getting nominated for Chicago. Sometimes one good song is enough. Lithgow should get have an Oscar by now (2019) for something and this early empathetic performance as a trans woman in Garp is terrific, as is Louis Gossett Jr.'s committed turn in the winning performance as tough as nails drill sergeant. I like Robert Preston in his film more than the movie itself. But my winner...

My winner
James Mason – The Verdict as Ed Concannon

One of my favorite character actors of all time -- this would be the third and final nomination for this great, often underrated performer. He probably would have won in 1954 for his version of Bradley Cooper in A Star Is Born if Marlon Brando hadn't delivered his tour de force in On the Waterfront in the same year.

He is a devilish delight in The Verdict, where he is essentially the villain but he plays him with such a witty, coy intelligence that it's impossible not to be charmed by him and when he is knocked off his game by the underdog Paul Newman it's wildly satisfying.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Winner
Jessica Lange – Tootsie as Julie Nichols

Other nominees
Glenn Close – The World According to Garp as Jenny Fields
Teri Garr – Tootsie as Sandra "Sandy" Lester
Kim Stanley – Frances as Lillian Van Ornum Farmer
Lesley Ann Warren – Victor/Victoria as Norma Cassidy

I've only seen Frances once and I'm sorry say I can't remember it well or the Stanley performance so there's a caveat there. Glenn Close is terrific as always as Garp's iconoclastic mother. And Lesley Ann Warren is funny in Victor/Victoria. But for me it's between Jessica Lange and Teri Garr for Tootsie. Both are asked to do very different things on opposite ends of the spectrum in that movie. Lange plays more the romance and the drama of the film while Garr is just a comedic firecracker in what may be her best role ever.

My winner
Teri Garr – Tootsie as Sandra "Sandy" Lester

Teri Garr gives the most enjoyable performance here -- and is one of the best parts of one of the great comedies of the decade, Her character is hilarious in any era, terrifically sympathetic and she feels really real. I just love this character and performance to pieces.

Stay tuned for my picks for 1982's Best Actor and Actress...

No comments:

Post a Comment