Saturday, June 22, 2019

'Paris Is Burning' is a perfect documentary for this time or any

I don't remember how and when I first discovered the landmark documentary Paris Is Burning, but once I saw it, I knew I was beholding something I could never forget. I just got to see it again at Film Forum, a restoration on the big screen, and I am even more blown away by it.

It's funny, smart, informative, moving and ultimately life affirming -- it gives you everything you could possibly want and more: unforgettable costumes, classic lines and glorious atmosphere.

I'm not quite sure how director Jennie Livingston earned the trust of her subjects, who are mostly young LGBTQ people in turbulent 1980s New York, but she works miracles by keeping the voices of any outsiders completely out of this film.

For the uninitiated, the film explores the complex and colorful culture of 'balls' -- something akin to a fashion competition but also a celebration of a marginalized community that nevertheless is strong, loving, fierce and so profoundly funny.

It's one of the most immersive documentaries I've ever seen, aided tremendously by its toe tapping disco-infused soundtrack but also the rhythm of the interviewees voices as they break down 'mopping,' 'shade', 'reading' and 'realness,' among other insider terms (only later to be co-opted by the mainstream).


There is also a sadness that intrudes on the fun -- many of the protagonists would succumb to the AIDS in the years that followed, and the film doesn't shy away from describing the potential dark side of living as a trans woman then and now.

Naturally, this film had a major impact upon its release -- its simply too indelible to ignore -- but its legend has only grown since and in the wake of the Trump administration's ongoing war to curtail trans rights, it's more important than it's ever been.

People, especially young people, need to see this film. I'm heartened to hear that it's used as an education tool, because it is such honest but accessible way to expose people to a very celebrated facet of gay culture, without demeaning anyone or trivializing them.

What comes across on screen is the warmth, love and humanity of these beautiful people, and when the movie ended I didn't want to say goodbye. I just hope someday the atmosphere of the ballroom can enter every space in America. We all need to better and the excellence on display here is an inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment