Tuesday, February 3, 2015

In defense of Clint Eastwood the director

Do you feel lucky?
I have been pretty vocal -- for better or worse -- about my dislike for Clint Eastwood's blockbuster new film American Sniper.

Clearly the movie has been polarizing and controversial for a lot of reasons -- its portrayal of its hero Chris Kyle, its portrayal of Iraqis, and its portrayal of human babies, among other things.

Even thought I didn't like the movie, I was entertained by it and I am impressed and inspired that at age 84, Eastwood is still a prolific and capable filmmaker. It's really unprecedented in Hollywood history.

Although I have a lot of problems with Eastwood the man, I am pretty big fan of Eastwood the actor and director. As a filmmaker I think he really hit his stride late in his career with a series of elegiac but intense films.

In my opinion, most of his early directorial efforts are close, but no cigar. I've always thought The Outlaw Josey Wales was overrated and High Plains Drifter has a morally repugnant rape scene that is impossible to defend. Still, his very first film, the early-Fatal Attraction style thriller Play Misty for Me is great fun.

My God, he smiles
Eastwood does a miraculous job of tweaking his tough guy persona by playing a lothario disc jockey who gets more than he bargained for after a one-night-stand with an increasingly erratic woman, played by Jessica Walter (of Arrested Development fame). In this film, Eastwood shows one of his hallmarks as a director, his generosity with other actors. Even though he is the star of the film, he is more than willing to cede the spotlight to Walters, whose performance haunts you after the credits roll.

His next triumph remains my favorite film of his as a director, the Oscar-winning 1992 film Unforgiven. It was Eastwood's last and possibly best western, a stirring meditation on violence and the toll it takes on men.

This old fashioned, economical story has scenes of grand acting and it looks great. Gene Hackman gives one of his greatest performances as the complex villain of the piece and Eastwood works wonders but not hiding behind his age. A truly classic film.

The next Eastwood film I've always admired was a real change of pace for him and audiences. Some may scoff at his adaptation of The Bridges of Madison County, but it really is one of the best romantic movies I've ever seen. Eastwood and Meryl Streep make a believable, and yes, sexy duo. And their doomed love story is genuinely moving. This film proves that Eastwood can do down-to-earth human emotions just as well as he can craft a thrilling action sequence.

After some more misses, Eastwood emerged triumphant again with 2003's Mystic River. This time, Eastwood was solely behind the camera, getting top-notch work from Sean Penn, Tim Robbins and an underrated Kevin Bacon. He elevates what could have been a routine crime story into an epic drama with real power. An unforgettable movie with some jaw dropping acting in it.

The next year Eastwood won his second Best Director trophy for the heartbreaking tearjerker Million Dollar Baby. Boasting not just Hillary Swank's flawless performance, but a truly great one of his own too. Eastwood tapped into previously unseen layers of vulnerability with this film, and although it was Jamie Foxx's year with Ray, I wouldn't have been upset if Eastwood had taken home the Best Actor prize.

And while I admired his pair of World War II pictures, Flags of Our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima, I think Gran Torino was his last great film. The surprise blockbuster was something of a throwback, but the role and project fit Eastwood like a glove. He plays a lovable curmudgeon who forms an unlikely bond with his Hmong neighbors in a rough part of Detroit -- and both he and the movie are a blast. This is audience-pleasing Hollywood entertainment of the highest order.

At the time, I remember many people thought Gran Torino would be Eastwood's swan song, but he has directed several films in its wake and shows no signs of slowing down. Although I'm not thrilled with his latest work, I'm happy he's working and I'll be looking forward to what he does next.

Go ahead Clint, make my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment